I'm Ghana go to Accra

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Two days and counting....

Last night, I just doubled the size of my family. A family friend introduced me to a Ghanaian woman who is currently working in Chicago and I jumped at the chance to ask some questions regarding the enigmatic country that is soon to become my home. As soon as I walked in the door Cece (See-See) proclaimed that I resembled her nephew, Baffo, “except for your skin tone” she added. After that, I might as well have been her nephew. She embraced me without the slightest bit of hesitation and went on to tell me all about her extended family in Ghana assuring me that they would take care of me. Any concern I had about living in Accra was met with, “Auntie Alice will take care of that.” Auntie Alice has already secured a cell phone for me and is ready to pick me up in the airport should my ride not show up. I am still trying to comprehend the openness and accommodation that Cece and her family displayed to me and I can only hope that the rest of Ghana is half as welcoming.

So now it’s two days and counting… After so much preparation it is hard to believe that my departure date is almost here. After getting shots for diseases that I thought have been eradicated for decades and feverishly packing, I am almost ready to embark on my journey to Ghana. I’ve never lived, let alone visit, a developing country and I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity. After reading every resource I could find about Ghana the culture and lifestyle still seems overwhelming foreign. But, we’re all really the same, right?

My fellowship is structured in such a way that I will be traveling alone and the prospect of spending so much time by myself frightens me. I’ve brought an incredible amount of books with me and I sometimes worry that I am setting myself up to be some sort of a social recluse. Nevertheless, my goal is to assimilate and experience as much as I can. I am ready to embrace Ghana with arms wide open… I hope Auntie Alice is ready for me.

There are so many people that I did not to get the chance to personally say goodbye to so let this serve as my formal “so long”. I am going to miss all of you so much. Please use this blog not only as a way to stay informed with what I’m doing but also to serve as a way for me to keep me up to date with what’s going on with you. Feel free to post any comments you’d like and email me at Brianschwa@gmail.com.

Nanti ye (goodbye … I think).

6 Comments:

  • Brian,

    I wish you the best. I can't wait to hear about your experiences!

    Good Luck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Sounds like you are fully prepared and being as socially responsible as possible. Represent the US out there because you are an excellent ambassador, none of that Canada bullshit! Word, you are going to have an awesome time! Sorry i missed you this summer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

  • Maybe Aunt Allice has a nice daughter that can show you around, eh eh, ya motorboating sonfa bitch! Take care of you're self kid, see ya when you get back in the states. Oh, Arthur gives to big woof woof for you. He's ripping apart a kickball right now, never play kickball in front of Arthur.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • I love you. Be safe and street smart.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM  

  • you sexy man you. have a safe and exciting trip. i love you like a fat kid loves chocolate cake. i am currently on my own journey...not because i am in berlin, germany right now but because i am with drew. wow, what a headache..jk. anywho, stay in touch and dont come back with a disease or an african child. peace out...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

  • Safe travels my son! what's with kush? too much living in the same apartment. he thinks you're sexy??
    miss you already.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home